Saturday, June 2, 2018

Baotou - last day

Oh, I have been back in Canada for almost two weeks and I'm still not finished this trip's blog but I have to put my pictures somewhere so let's get this done!

Our last day in Baotou was a morning trip out of town to Wudang Temple. I know nothing about Wudang Temple.  I just googled it and I literally can't tell if what's online is the same place we were.  So, here are some pictures.

First stop, gift shop.  Then onto a tram to the top of the hill


No tourists allowed up this hill


I bought one of those strings of prayer beads and they made my arm itchy.




Prayer wheels


It was hot but Jon is cool as a cucumber!









We were back in Baotou for lunch.  I think this might have been the day that Lily took me to meet her parents.  They live in a big, three bedroom apartment. And they still own a house with a yard so I think there is some money there.  Anyway, they were very nice and made a fish (from the river).  It was a pretty fast visit since we had to get back to campus for our next event. 

Mongolian culture, Dance.  We got a lesson in how to dance.  The hardest part was trying to hold our hands in the right position.  It lasted a minute or two until my hands cramped up.  Lynette and Dahlia got to wear traditional dresses.  Dahlia's was probably the worst fitting, worst colour, worst dress ever.  So, of course, I had to take a picture.

Dahlia, although she probably won't admit it in this dress

Lynette fared better with her dress

We were not the most graceful bunch
 After we butchered some beautiful Mongolian dance moves, we had our closing ceremony with the Baotou faculty.  They were really wonderful hosts.




And then it was over.  Lily picked me up and we had dinner with some friends of hers.  There was another little boy who didn't like me nearly as much as Ray had.  He would not pose for a picture with me not matter how much his mother wanted him to. 

After dinner, we went for a walk in Olympic Park.  I don't know how China is paying for their infrastructure but they are building some beautiful parks for their citizens.  This has a stadium and artificial lack and river (artificial?) with miles of paths.  Closed to cars.  Lovely. 

Lily and me

The river
Lily (and Sally) on the lit river walkway


While we were visiting the river, a break-dancer started to dance.  He was really good.  And the kids went crazy for him.  He danced for a while and then he showed the kids some moves.  then his partner showed up and they danced.  We eventually had to leave but they were fun.




We walk until the sun set and then headed home so I could pack for my flight back to Beijing in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment